Senior Project Contracts Engineer- Brazil Project
• Promote the Contracts & Procurement function as a managed process which requires timely input from technical departments
• Act as highly visible communications focal point for Contracts within the Lapa SW Project, operating as a ‘Duet’ with technical counterpart(s), to proactively facilitate effective relationships, contract planning & management
• Actively follow relevant markets, gathering & using information received, & developing & maintaining market information systems to provide up-to-date details of both market conditions and contractors/suppliers
• Be open to receive representatives
• Proactively build and maintain relationships with suppliers in order to secure positive, constructive and cost effective commercial agreements for the Company
• Establish contracting strategy with ‘Duet’ counterpart to serve & protect Company’s best commercial interest
• Review and consider legal aspects associated with contract award & administration, liaising with the Legal Department, providing advice to clients as appropriate & assisting as appropriate in settlement of law suits
• Propose, pre-qualify & recommend suitable contractors/suppliers for bid lists to maximise tendering efficiency
• Compile issue and administer ‘Invitation to Tender’ packages to procure the most realistic and commercially attractive proposals from potential contractors/suppliers. (This includes reviewing and compiling the technical part of the ITT package based on input received from Technician & providing commercially relevant advice)
• Draft appropriate contractual and commercial terms & conditions to best serve & protect Company’s interests
• Review bids, participate in contractual & commercial clarifications & negotiations, prepare all the associated documents such as presentations, minutes of meetings, contractual & commercial qualifications log, draft Recommendation to Award, finalize the Contract, administer the award of contracts, change/variation orders, contract amendments, claims and all associated correspondence.
• Ensure all contracting activities meet audit requirements in compliance with Company policies and procedures and Brazillian legislation in order to minimise any potential partner/audit claims or court actions
• Monitor contractors’ performance, promoting & attending service quality meetings, recording results and participating in supplier relationship management & supplier performance management activities.
• Prepare various contractual certificates (i.e. Milestone Certificates, Provisional Acceptance Certificate, Final Acceptance Certificate), which are required to be issued by Company to Contractor in accordance to the contract.
• Review Change Order Requests, draft Change Order Instructions, negotiate and administer change orders initiated by Company or Contractor and contract amendments.
• Provide general assistance & advice on contractual & procurement matters as required to support Company’s operations (including particularly advising on interpretation of contractual provisions, claims & correspondence)
• Review standard contract documentation & procedures and identify, promote, negotiate, detail & implement improvements, liaising with other interested parties as appropriate.
• File project documentation and correspondence in a logical, organized and auditable manner.
• Represent Company’s Contracts & Procurement Function in meetings with external organisations
• Provide first line technical supervision, coaching, mentoring & appraisal of less experienced personnel
• Create, negotiate and administer change orders initiated by Company or Contractor and contract amendments
• Represent the Project’s contracts function in weekly meetings with suppliers/contractors providing general assistance and advice on contractual and procurement matters as required to support the project’s activities.
• Facilitate/chair any meetings required to conduct the activities of the job
• Provide input to cost with potential changes and actual changes throughout the project, including verification of project invoices. • Perform contractual activities using tools such as SAP, e-Sourcing, Agora, etc
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Typically degree qualified in Quantity Surveying, Engineering or relevant business area, ideally with a postgraduate qualification in a complementary area
- Ideally a professional qualification (or working towards) in Procurement, Surveying or other relevant profession.
- Knowledge & understanding of procurement processes including: ethical principles; bidder prequalification; invitation to tender; comparative evaluation of contractors; & award, claims management, administration, amendment & close out of contracts
- At least 6 years practical experience in preparation, negotiation and administration of complex projects contracts
- Typically 10 years (or more) experience in the offshore oil or petrochemical industries - Demonstrable general knowledge & understanding of the technologies utilised by oil and gas operators and packages like SURF, Topsides and FPSO´s in general.
- Demonstrable general knowledge & understanding of commercial, legal and insurance issues affecting the Company in general, & “in depth” understanding where relevant to contracts for works, goods & services.
- Demonstrable knowledge of drafting & administration of EPC, EPIC, & EPSCC type contracts.
- Extensive & detailed knowledge & understanding of model contract conditions in use by the Company with particular emphasis on the liability, indemnity & insurances regime applied by the Company, & the ability to identify & assess relevant risks & modify and/or supplement standard provisions as appropriate
- In depth knowledge & understanding of different means of contractor remuneration & their commercial implications, practical experience of their use, & sound ability to select & draft appropriate provisions. - Understanding of the specific supply market relating to the domain in which the job-holder’s clients operate - General knowledge & understanding of Company’s business functions, with “in depth” understanding of the Contracts function & how it adds value, and a commitment to deliver added value - Ability & willingness to facilitate/chair any meetings required to conduct the activities of the job - Ability & willingness to effectively & robustly challenge the views of contractors & clients, and negotiate reasonable settlements whilst maintaining good relationships & sharing expertise & knowledge as appropriate - Ability to work in a Project environment and go above and beyond to deliver the project deadlines.
- Languages: Proficient in English. Portuguese is an asset in the local environment.